Since the Apple TV doesn’t have a power button, you can’t physically restart it from the device unless you unplug and plug it back in.
Restarting can be useful for several reasons, especially if your Apple TV is frozen or needs to be troubleshooted.
Luckily, there are ways to restart an Apple TV that are easier than unplugging it from the wall. Here’s how to restart your Apple TV in two ways, using the remote and Settings app.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Apple TV 4K (From $179.99 at Best Buy)
How to restart an Apple TV
First, you can use the remote.
- If you have a Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote this remote has a touchpad and a microphone button hold down the Home and Menu buttons until the light on your Apple TV flashes. Let go when the light on your Apple TV starts flashing and it will restart.
how to restart apple tv 1
- If you have an older Apple TV Remote, hold the Menu and down buttons until the light on your Apple TV flashes. Let go, and your device will reset.
how to restart apple tv 2
You can also restart your Apple TV by going through the Settings app.
On an Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD:
1. Open the Settings app, which has an icon that looks like a gray gear.
2. Scroll down to and click on “System.”
3. Select “Restart.”
How to restart Apple TV 3
Your Apple TV will take a moment to restart.
On an Apple TV 3 or older:
1. Open your Settings app.
2. Open the “General” menu.
3. Scroll to and click on “Restart.”
If for some reason your remote isn’t working and you can’t use it to restart your device, instead unplug your Apple TV, wait for six seconds, and then plug it back in.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech :
- How to watch YouTube TV on your Apple TV device by accessing and activating the app
- How to use your iPhone as an Apple TV remote with a free app
- How to get Disney Plus on your Apple TV, by subscribing to the streaming service and downloading the app
- How to download apps on your Apple TV device through the App Store
- How to sign up for Apple TV+ and check if you apply for a free one-year subscription